I love it when rhubarb season rolls around!
Rhubarb on its own is quite tart so I love to cook it with a little bit of honey. Some recipes use sugar, but why make something so lovely and healthy, into something healthy? And who knows, maybe they'll start taxing actual sugar soon too?
Having such a flamboyant breakfast before rushing off to work makes me feel like I'm already winning before I've even stepped out the door, and it doesn't even take long to get ready in the morning! You can make it all the evening before and assemble it while your coffee is brewing!
For the Compote:
- 400g Rhubarb
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 50ml Water (Just enough to cover the base of the pot)
For the Chia Pudding
- 15g Chia Seeds
- 100ml Almond Milk (or any other milk)
- 50g Yogurt (I used Alpro)
- 4 Strawberries
- Chop the rhubarb into 1-2cm chunks and bring to the boil in a saucepan with water and lemon juice.
- Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continually.
- Lower the temperature to a medium heat, and continue to stir. The rhubarb will start to soften and turn in to compote. At this point add the honey and stir to make sure the honey is evenly distributed. Continue to cook till the consistency is smooth and starts to thicken, about 5-10 minutes. Leave too cool and store in an airtight container.
- Stir together the milk, yogurt and chia seeds in a tall glass and leave for 10 minutes. Stir again, leave for 10, stir and then leave in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, spoon some of the rhubarb into the bottom of a glass, top with the chia pudding and top with the chopped up strawberries.
I love making a perfect breakfast and a mini cafetiere of good coffee before heading off to work.
Possibly one of my favourite breakfasts <3