I made some adjustments to a recipe I found on the BBC Food website like lemon icing as well as the drizzle. Now, having tried it, I have a few improvements I still want to make to eventually create the perfect lemon drizzle!
I you can, leaving it to sit for a day or so makes it even more lemony as it gives the juice time to properly sink in. Mmm
For the top
- 4 lemons, juice only
- 75g caster sugar
For the sponge
- 400g caster sugar
- 400g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 4 lemons, zest only
- 5 free-range eggs
- 400g self raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm/8in springform cake tin with butter, then add a small amount of flour, turn the cake tin to coat the sides and bottom and shake out any excess.
- For the lemon drizzle, mix together the lemon juice and sugar until the mixture is well combined and the sugar has melted. Set aside.
- For the sponge, beat the sugar, butter and lemon zest in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy, using an electric whisk.
- Gradually add the eggs, whisking thoroughly after each egg
- Carefully fold in the flour using a metal spoon.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until the sponge has risen and is cooked through.
- As soon as the cake is cooked, remove it from the springform cake tin and prick the top all over with a fork. Pour over the lemon drizzle mixture to soak the sponge and pour a punnet of blueberries on top before the icing sets. Then set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Some changes for next time:
- Consider adding icing sugar to the drizzle mixture or exchanging it for the caster sugar.
- Less lemons for the drizzle for a more solid icing coat and a sugary, moist consistency rather than a wet one.
- I covered the cake with two layers lemon icing. Use lemon juice (the amount depends on how think you want the icing) and also a few drops of lemon extract to offset the sourness and dull the strong sugar taste.
- Maybe use granulated sugar with lemon juice to achieve a crunchy icing
- Put blueberries in the cake mixture
- Continually douse with lemon juice (add some lemon aroma to offset bitterness)